This elegant and secluded 116 acre contemporary estate is located in the wine country of the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley. Known for its bucolic scenery, equestrian farms and quality of life, Santa Ynez is a short drive from Santa Barbara and only 2 hours from Los Angeles.
Location: Happy Canyon, Santa Ynez, CA
Land: 116 acres
Horse facilities: Fenced fields, stable with 8 stalls, arena, trails
The current owners commissioned Michael Palladino, senior partner and design architect in Richard Meier’s Los Angeles office to create a contemporary home in keeping with the materials, colors and context of the natural landscape. The result is a sophisticated house grounded in the western architectural vernacular that exemplifies modernist principles of form following function. It achieves the ideal of architecture that is comfortable to live in and architecture as art. The two-year building process required an unusual precision and workmanship from both contractor and crew.
Nestled into a hill, the house commands outstanding views of the surrounding countryside. It is characterized by the harmonious scale of its rooms in a layout that provides both privacy and inviting social spaces – all suffused with natural light from windows designed to frame the spectacular views. One of the unique architectural features is the custom designed curved ceiling of the living, dining and family rooms, shaped as a wave from 14 feet at the highest point ending in clear- story windows, motorized to open. Clear- story is a design element that reappears throughout the house providing exceptional indirect light. UV glass is used in all windows as well as in the French and custom sliding doors opening to gracious outdoor living spaces.
The home has 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, a full guest suite and 2 half baths. There is a completely appointed Chef’s eat-in-kitchen, formal living, dining and family rooms, private sitting room, office, and exercise room with views from all rooms in every direction.
Property amenities include a salt- water pool and, removed from the home, an 8 stall equestrian stable, a large hay / equipment barn, irrigated pastures and a ranch manager’s home. In an area known for its quality wine production, the property could have vineyard potential.
The landscaping was conceived to provide a transition from the surrounding hills to a more cultivated environment. In addition to oaks and sycamores, a large olive orchard leads up to and surrounds the house and extensive grounds in which drought tolerant Mediterranean and native plants give way to the refinement of roses and lawn in the gardens closest to the house.
• Entry with powder room and coat closet.
• Living room, with wood burning fireplace, opens to west side verandah and east side courtyard which also has a wood burning fireplace.
• Dining room opens to west side verandah.
• Kitchen with large cooking island, walk in commercial grade refrigerator, Sub Zero refrigerator drawers and freezer and top of the line appliances, butler pantry/ prep kitchen, informal dining area and outside deck.
• Adjacent to the kitchen is a laundry room and a bathroom.
• Family room with wood burning fireplace opens to an outdoor eating area with built in barbecue.
• Main office / library with extensive built-ins.
• Library galleria.
• Master Suite Area: Two master bedrooms, with adjoining master bathroom, his and her commodes, his and her walk in closets. Additionally there is a sitting room that is part office and part media/reading space – with a wood burning fireplace.
• North side bedroom with bathroom.
Heating / AC and other Features:
• There are 10 zones throughout the house which are individually thermostatically controlled.
• Central vacuum
• Central audio system with speakers indoors and out
Lower Level ~ South Side
• A Guest Suite includes bedroom, bathroom and separate sitting room that opens to the pool
• Exercise room
• Equipment room for HVAC, Water Tanks and electrical of the house
• Storage room with closets
• Pool ~ salt water pool that is solar heated
• Pool bathroom
• A garden storage room accessed from the outside only
Lower Level ~ North Side
• Two bedrooms, two bathrooms
• Separate entry
Water and Utilities:
• Private Wells—house and barn
• Cisterns 30,000 gallon – house, 5,000 gallons-barn
• Electric: PG&E
• Gas: Propane
• Septic systems
• Stable ~ center aisle with 8 stalls, tack room, laundry room, wash and grooming areas
• Large equipment and hay barn
• Manager home- 3 bedrooms
• Riding Arena
• Irrigated pastures
• Exercise track
• Riding Trails